Find a clinic & book online for free

Laser Eye Surgery Forum

Get free advice from laser eye surgery experts

Latest Laser Eye Surgery Forum Questions

Q.

Risk of laser eye surgery causing Fuchs Dystrophy?

I am considering corrective laser treatment for short-sight. I am a 54 yr old female and all regular recent eye tests have been normal. However, I have discovered that my mother has Fuchs Dystrophy. Is it wise to continue? LASEK has been suggested. I so want to have clear distance vision! My prescription is approximately-150

By Roberta broughton on 20th Nov 2013

A.

Your mother if she has been diagnosed in the past few years, appears to have the late-onset form of Fuchs endothelial dystrophy which is fairly common, with approximately 4 percent of people over the age of 40 being affected. There is also an early-onset variant of Fuchs endothelial dystrophy which is rare, although the exact prevalence is unknown. It appears neither you or your mum has this. For reasons that are unclear, women are affected with Fuchs endothelial dystrophy somewhat more frequently than men. The genetic causes of the late-onset form of the disorder are unknown and there is no reason to worry unnecessarily that you will be affected at any increased incidence than anyone else in the population. So by itself this is not a reason to avoid LASIK At 54, you will need reading glasses if you have your myopia of -1.50D corrected. You should investigate if lasering one eye (your dominant eye) to give what is know as monovision will work for you. This will allow you to see distance and reading without glasses, but not everyone is suitable.

By Mr. David Allamby from Focus Clinics

On 21st Nov 2013

Add a reply to this question Add Reply

Go back to the main Laser Eye Surgery Forum

Latest Offers

• Get all you laser eye surgery questions answered at a free consultation.
  •  
  • Book online for free at the following clinics:

Optical Express

Save £300 when you book online

Optimax

Save 10% when you book online

Ultralase

Save 10% when you book online

Accuvision

Save £800 when you book online

Focus Laser Vision

Save £500 when you book online