The Brow lift aims to raise your eye brows and move them to a more aesthetically pleasing position. It is also is performed to smooth out wrinkles on the forehead and improve the appearance of lateral hoods (droopy flaps of skin that hang over the outside corner of your eyes). A brow lift will result in a more youthful look above and around the eyes.
The procedure: Brow lift:
This procedure typically takes between 30 – 90 minutes and can be carried out using a general or local anaesthetic.
There are quite a few different techniques performed but the 2 most common procedures are described below:
Coronal forehead lift:
- An incision is made across the top of your head from ear to ear.
- Through the incision the surgeon can alter the muscles that cause horizontal forehead wrinkles and scowling.
- The surgeon then removes a 1 – 2 cm strip of your scalp and sews the remaining scalp back. This is a very reliable technique.
ADV: The results are long lasting and the scars are generally not visible as they are behind the hairline.
DISADV: The top of your head is numb for about 6 months but sensation normally returns. The technique raises your hairline which is a problem if your hairline is already high.
Endoscopic forehead lift:
- 4-6 small incisions are made behind the hairline and then an endoscope (a tube with a camera on the end) is inserted meaning the surgeon doesn’t have to make a long incision.
- The surgeon can then reduce the scowling appearance but not the horizontal wrinkles. The surgeon can lift your forehead but does not remove the excess scalp; it is merely shifted upward and backward on your skull.
- The scalp is normally secured by drilling small holes in your skull where tiny screws can be placed (these are later removed or absorbed naturally).
ADV: Results in a smaller scar as the procedure is less invasive and there is no numbness of the scalp.
DISADV: Higher chance for the forehead and brow to droop back.
Recovery period: Brow lift:
- Following the surgery you will be wearing a bandage have mild pain for up to 4 days which prescription medication can reduce.
- Bandages normally removed after 1 – 3 days.
- Stitches normally removed after 7 – 10 days.
- Contact lenses can be worn after 1 week.
- Some people feel capable of working 3 – 4 days after surgery but your appearance is normally the limiting factor.
- You will be presentable in public with the aid of make-up after 7 – 14 days.
- Final results are seen 2 – 4 weeks after surgery.
Your surgeon may well ask you to refrain from drinking alcohol and smoking both before and after surgery as it can contribute to poor blood circulation and fluid retention.
Like with all surgeries, recovery times differ from one patient to the next and closely following the surgeons post operation instructions will generally lead to a quicker recovery period.
The risks: Brow lift:
- Forehead paralysis.
- Asymmetry of the Eye brows.
- Permanent loss of hair.
- Forehead may be numb – normally subsides.
- The results aren’t permanent.
- You may have the ‘surprised look’.
- High hairline.